Wednesday 10 February 2021

Forgotten

 




This post seems to have started off as what I was producing this February.

For the main part digitally.
Some being digital collages, but most ending up on the computer.
One big factor in this is the non-quality of light around this time of year,
especially when I'm "light saving" by using as much of it as possible outside 
& not in front of a canvas.
At least when I sit in front of the screen there is some sort of balance as to how the colours work together.

"Forgotten" because whilst sorting through files, thinking of maybe re-working some old stuff I came across some images that had no recollection of painting.
I also came across a rough for a painting (that I had forgotten about!) that was far superior to the then finished article. An especially challenging one to re-work.
(Pringle Bay)




Apple of my life

Alan Morris  What is this Martin? Is it made of glass? Can't work it out.
its what I call a digital collage collage, two photos one drawing then knitted together with a basic computer art programme.
Alan Morris  It's lovely. Did you paint on a slide then?
no, just mixed stuff up. Although stained glass is my hobby - or was, the materials are far too expensive for me to casually carry on nowadays.











It was a crisp spring day, bright but cold.
I tripped down to the stream & stayed there for a while.
I became very aware of the rustles, gurgles and flowing.
 
At one point I focused on the unfolding buds of a sycamore sapling, as I sat mesmerised on the roots of a tree.
It became the apple of my life.
I made quite a few ink notes a little while later which I don't have access to at present.





*

Inside

 is the corny title that I gave this
~but the hard fact is, that is what it is!
I'm not sure, but I think that it was a corner of a show called "Grotto"
That I simply named "Bright Pictures"
A bit tongue in cheek I feel.





All the same, I came across it in a file of the X-Ray Factory & immediately thought "save it in your inbox"
I rubbed out the areas which I felt could do with a little more attention

& saved it in a P.N.G. format.(whatever that stands for)
I was then able to put bits of digital collage underneath it
which only showed through the empty spaces.
This "substitution" I have used in other images in this blog
"Cityadeli" being the most concentrated.


*

Pringle Bay

(not being its real name) the rocks at times felt they were layered as Pringle crisps do.





It came from a drawing that I made a couple or three years ago,
whilst taking a break in Brixham.
I produced it with help from a cheap packet of felt tip pens.
On returning to Shipping Hill, I attempted to put it onto a fairly large canvas (window sized)
& came out with a stolid image that looked like I was simply blowing something up from small without the life force.
I ended up painting over it.
Here I will return, trying to give the original a bit more depth without crucifying it.



*


"Shine on Alan"




The title being a slogan that Alan uses!
On
re~visiting  & re~working this thing digitally
I have no idea why I named it thus!
& it looks more like a design for a rug than something sparkling.

so, I've re~named it "holding out for spring"




*

Cityadeli



Starting off with a very quick near enough monochrome doodle sketch
I started rubbing out areas into a PNG format, & then, a bit like stencils offered up areas of colour, pattern & texture to appear from behind. 
The whole thing took about ten variations in order to conclude.





About halfway through the process.








On the Edge of Earth & Sky


Pink Shuffle





Pink Invert






*








Snow in the Valley


I think it needs to be a heavy fall!






Topsey Turvey & Sliced by Ice

The original which I banged out in Himachel Pradesh.
Higher up in the Himalayan foothills,
Bharmor.



& What I took on as something forgotten!








No comments:

Post a Comment