Sunday 6 December 2015

The Lake & other stories.

My copy, unfortunately, the shine on top of the varnish doesn't do it any favours!

 



A month ago I decided to knock out a bunch of large pictures instead of painting on old cupboard doors and the like, and bought a large roll of canvas.
So far I have only painted three (sometimes life gets in the way) with two more are ready to go. I decided to paint mainly known themes, along the lines of straight through from start to finish stuff.


The 1st was from a water-colour of old Ankara that I produced in 1990 in Turkey. The aim was to get the vitality that I had achieved with thew/c - always a hard objective to achieve as it is easy to produce a stereotyped, predetermined and comparatively flat statement.



I feel I succeeded!



The next was a canvas that was bursting to come out and I felt it pointless to impose any restraint on myself.
Entitled " Autumn comes but once a year" and was informed by a doodle from a simple collage and the actual colours from said collage. Again, I suppose, pretty straight through, containing many of my own characters, emerging without pre-thought during that cider fueled doodle. - 
Followed by a copy of "The Lake" by Kandinsky.
I decided that it was my favourite picture when I started to learn to paint in '71 in Epsom.

One of the photos in art books, all vastly different!
 

I have a strong feeling that it still is.
I should have done this copy more than forty years ago.
I have made it as realistic as I could - from a small image in a small art book.

The next painting in which I aim to change a bit-there is an area of "flat people" I am unsure of - bottom left. I mean to replace them with something else - any suggestions?
I love Titles especially imaginative ones which dont neccessarily convey a specific message.


( although it will probably end up as a horse rider!)
Another Kandinsky, which will be "after" the original - " Glass Painting"
What does "after" mean?
I believe that what Ive seen as "after" means the "copying painter's" version of the original picture rather than a faithful representation.

The other canvas I am working on is a step further in The Achilles' Shield series, which I seem to think I've finished, then something bigger seems to crop up!

colour/rough layout for the on-going canvas

link to: http://umphries.blogspot.co.uk/p/achilles-shield.html

On looking at this blog, I realise it needs a fair bit of updating!
(see above statement)








  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment